Saturday at GFF: a jam-packed day of films & events!
(Gimli, Manitoba; July 22, 2016) NOTE: F-WORDZ & THE AL PURDY DOCUMENTARY HAS BEEN MOVED TO AN INDOOR VENUE AT THE LAKEVIEW HOTEL, LAKEVIEW NORTH ROOM -TIME REMAINS 8PM. SEE YOU THERE!
Day 4 of the Gimli Film Festival brings an exciting day of films, competitions & special events with a Manitoba focus. Today’s schedule includes:
• Manitoba films & short film series (MTS Stories from Home, NFB Hot House, Manitoba Short Film Showcase)
• Competitions (RBC $10,000 Emerging Filmmakers Pitch & the 48 Hour Filmmakers competition)
• Many guest appearances by filmmakers and industry throughout the day
• F-Wordz & Al Purdy documentary, at 8:00pm: a special event for poetry lovers
• GFF After Hours Concert at the Ship & Plough Gastropub 8pm-2am
RBC SUNSET BEACH SCREENINGS
Last night, our Raiders double feature drew over 1200 film fans to the shores of Lake Winnipeg, as ideal weather prevailed and Raiders fans enjoyed high adventure on the 35 foot beach screen.
Tonight Gimli beach will be swathed in purple for the Prince & David Bowie Sing-a-long at 10pm. (Note: any change of venue due to inclement weather will be posted at 7pm on the website & social media) This promises to be a memorable and emotional night for music fans, as the audience is transported into a musical reminiscence under the stars…. Join us!
Then, at 11:30am our late feature on the beach is NUTS!, a documentary directed by Penny Lane, about Dr. John Romulus Brinkley, an eccentric genius who built an empire in Depression-era America with a goat testicle impotence cure and a million watt radio station. NUTS is a form-bending, Sundance Award-winning documentary which explores how “truths” can be invented by crafty storytellers, and what responsibility nonfiction filmmakers have to reveal the tricks of their craft.
GFF CLOSING RECEPTION & AWARDS PRESENTATIONS, TONIGHT!
The GFF Closing Reception and Awards Gala is at 7:00pm tonight at the Lakeview Resort Conference Centre. We have a number of exciting awards that will be announced at this event!
• The Alda Award for excellence in Circumpolar filmmaking
• The Jack Clements “Livin’ the Dream” Lifetime Achievement award
• RBC $10,000 Emerging Filmmakers Competition Award
• The 48 Hour Film Competition awards
News Bulletin: At noon today, the RBC $10,000 Emerging Filmmakers’ Competition was won by Solmund MacPherdon and Allegra Chiarella for their film pitch “The Debut”.
The 48 Hour Film Contest played to a sold-out house at the Gimli Theatre. Winners list released soon!