Gimli Film Festival
APPLICATIONS DUE: Midnight, Sunday, March 28, 2021
The Gimli Film Festival is a 5-day event that takes place in Gimli, Manitoba, and as of 2020, virtually as well. It is widely recognized as Manitoba’s premier Film Festival, and the largest rural Film Festival in all of Canada. Screenings and events take place in various locations throughout the community, with the largest and most popular event, the famous Beach Screenings, drawing thousands of spectators over the course of its 5-night run.
The Communications Intern (CI) reports to the Festival Director and Festival Manager and is an entry-level training position for a 16-week period running from April 19 to August 6, 2021.
Under the guidance and mentorship of the Festival Director, this full-time position (35 hours/week) would learn and support the communication needs of the festival. Areas of focus would be social media and traditional media activity, engaging with sponsors and donors, working on website content, press releases, speeches, and announcements, as well as working on Festival program advertisements, physical and digital.
Duties of the Communications Intern:
With support from the FM & FD, and following the communications strategy, the CI will work to implement all required communications activities for the 2021 Gimli Film Festival, including:
• Assisting with the creation and posting/publishing of content for social media accounts.
• Fielding of inquires through social media accounts with the appropriate information.
• Assisting in the execution of GFF’s annual press conference.
• Assisting with the coordinating of GFF’s media sponsors.
• Writing drafts and releasing of GFF official press releases to media, sponsors, filmmakers, passholders, and other stakeholders, as necessary.
• Writing drafts and posting of GFF Blog Posts on the festival website, for dissemination via social media.
• Updating of GFF’s email contact lists.
• General promotion of GFF’s 2021 film line-up, events, and activities.
• Assisting with requests for interviews from media, which will include scheduling GFF staff and exhibiting filmmakers for media hits.
• Working on the GFF media hit archive that documents all our 2021 press coverage, with both physical copies (newspapers, print) and a digital database for posterity.
Ideal applicants for the 2021 Gimli Film Festival Communications Intern position should have the following:
• A degree or diploma in Communications or Marketing or another related field.
• Experience working in the Arts & Culture sector is an asset.
• Involvement in the film community or an interest in filmmaking is an asset.
• Excellent organizational, writing, and verbal communication in English. Fluency in speaking and writing in French is an asset.
• An understanding of the local and global filmmaking community and industry.
• Experience in marketing, communications, or event promotion.
• Ability to live in or near Gimli from June 1 – July 30 is required (TBC due to COVID restrictions).
• Must demonstrate ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
• Must demonstrate the ability to take initiative, show good judgment, and manage projects from beginning to end.
• Must demonstrate ability to communicate and work well with other staff and volunteers.
• Excellent writing, editing and proof-reading skills.
• Technical photography, A/V, graphic design, or video editing skills would be a considerable benefit.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Professional demeanor; outgoing and friendly personality, good customer service skills.
• Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, databases, and social media.
• As an equal employer, the Gimli Film Festival is dedicated to hiring from minority communities (Indigenous, visible minority, LGBTTQ*, physical/mental accessibility needs, etc.) and we ask that any applicants who view themselves as such please self-identify in the application process.
• Internship April 19 – Aug 6, 2021
• Position is 5 days a week, 7 hours a day, 9am-5pm, with a one-hour unpaid lunch break, and two 15-minute paid breaks per day.
• Candidate must be available to work in Gimli as required from June 1st to July 29th. (TBC due to COVID-19. Working from home is a likely outcome for the majority of the duration of this contract. However this employee should be prepared to work in Gimli as needed, especially during the week of the Festival)
• Salary is based on $16/hr, 35 hrs/week x 16 weeks.
To apply please send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com with the subject line “CI Application”.
DEADLINE: Midnight – Sunday, March 28, 2021
For more information about the festival and the town, visit:
Thanks for applying!